Small Wooden Lali Drum, Brown, 6″
A lali is a drum carved from a single piece of wood. It played a vital role in traditional Fijian culture, where it was used for entertainment and to communicate messages.
The lali would be beaten in different rhythms to send messages such as the announcement of births, deaths and wars. The sound could be heard from kilometres away alerting and assembling the people of the village.
- 6″ length
- Vesi wood (Intsia bijuga)
- Comes with two drumsticks (i-uaua)
- Carvers are originally from islands of Fulaga and Kabara
- Fijian Crafted and Made
Care & Handling:
- Avoid direct sunlight or bright lights, which can fade finishes and colours.
- Over exposure to sunlight or heat can cause the wood to crack.
- Avoid cleaning with harsh chemicals, simply wipe gently with a damp cloth or dust with a clean, natural bristle brush.
- Furniture wax may be used to retain the lustre or shininess of the wood.